Green Building Benefits:
The benefits of green building and energy efficiency are more than just a healthier and more productive home or place to live, work or play. When done properly and as a standard practice, green building can actually fight climate change while producing many high-quality local jobs that reduce our societal dependence on increasingly expensive fossil fuel. Making this shift is good for us now and for the future of our society.
I have began public speaking to promote my book, “How to Future Proof Your Home: A Guide to Building with Energy Intelligence in Cold Climates“. My goal with these talks is to create a public dialogue and spread awareness of how these ideas and simple principles can greatly benefit home owners, society and our planet. Below is a video from the first 15 minutes of a talk I gave on November 10, 2013 at McNally Robinson, Saskatoon.
Key takeaways from this talk are:
- My technical background, what FutureProofMyBuilding.com is, and why I am doing what I am doing
- How our decisions regarding the way we have been moving forward are flawed
- Why we should not be making long-term decisions based strictly on money alone
- The number one principle that will make a home more energy-efficient and sustainable
- How reducing our need for energy in our homes is a step that we can all take to fight fracking and other environmentally destructive practices. Watch this to learn more about why this is so important for protecting our water and reducing energy costs in the future.
- How we can keep money in our local economy while reducing our society’s dependence on increasingly expensive and polluting energy
- How green building can reduce our taxes and the costs to our cities
- Why builders who want to go above and beyond the minimum standard are often handcuffed and prevented from doing so
- I demonstrate that we live in a society which is very vulnerable due to our dependence on energy, particularly if you live in a cold climate
- How we can build much more energy efficient homes for approximately the same cost by thinking of a home as a system
- With a slight change in mindset we can greatly improve our local economies, safety and security while protecting the environment
- How a lack of public awareness has caused this problem to become out of control and what we can do to change that
And much, much more.
The good news is that we can start solving these problems by understanding and implementing a few simple principles. You can get a free report that outlines and demonstrates these principles at www.FutureProofMyBuilding.com
This is only the first 15 minutes of my 45 minute talk. I would love to post the entire speech, but wouldn’t you prefer to hear the talk in person?
If you would like Shane Wolffe to come and speak to your group about this topic, please send an email with your contact information to info(at)FutureProofMyBuilding.com.
Below is an image from my presentation that conceptualizes the most important concept to grasp when considering how we can greatly reduce our environmental impact while building more comfortable, energy efficient, quieter and safer homes.
Let’s implement more green building practices and Future Proof™ our homes and our society for ourselves and for future generations.
Tags: #SASK, #YXE, build a green home, Build a home, build a house, energy efficiency, fight fracking, Future Proof, green building, improve the economy, presentation, protect the environment, public speaking, Saskatoon